Forum Discussion

10 years ago

BackupExec 2012 fails Exchange GRT backup after GRT restore

SBS 2011 (Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010, SQL 2008), Backup Exec 2012, all fully patched. RD1000 USB 3.0 backup drive.

Backups of system and Exchange running flawlessly since build three years ago.  Performed random restores of files/Shareport/Exchange (always full), no errors.

A week ago I needed to do a GRT restore of a user's folder and 97 messages.  Worked great, no errors, then suddenly the GRT backup fails with the following:

Capture.PNG

Further, Exchange transaction log files aren't being purged.  Seeing Events 9287 and 2007 in Application log.

Ran Windows Server Backup to test, worked fine, purged transaction logs.

Tried running BEX 2012 full backup of Exchnage only with GRT disabled, same error.  Tried with AOFO disabled, GRT enabled, failed.  Tried with both disabled, worked fine.

To add insult to injury, if I remove the login account for BEX from the Exchange Address Book, no Exchange backup occurs.

Any ideas?

• Something happened on the way to the regular backup last night.

I was notified the regular Full backup had failed around midnight, and the media was offline.  i checked the logs and BEX, and sure enough, the RDX was offline.  Windows showed the drive online and accessible (I saved/deteled a text file to test), and the Dell RDX tool showed the drive working fine.

I set the drive status to Online, and attempted to restart the backup.  Within 5 minutes, the drive went offline again.  I checked drive status again, stopped/restarted BEX services, restarted the backup, same problem.

I restarted the server, thinking something may've glitched, media showed online both in Windows & BEX, so I started the backup.  Same thing...within 5 minutes the drive went offline.

In all of these attempts, I could set the drive online again, but it would go offline shortly thereafter.

Frustrated and needing a backup, I deleted all jobs, then the media, restarted BEX services.

I re-created the Media pool (Backup-to-Disk-Cartridge), using defaults (as I always do), then created the server (no Exchnage) backup, and ran a test of the backup...it ran fine.  OK, so I ran the backup immediately and waited.

Next morning, backup worked fine, no issues.

To see if this had any effect on Exchange, I created an Exchange backup WITH GRT, and ran a full (during work hours) to another cartridge....ran smooth as silk, no errors.

Can I assume the solution was the cataloging/rights problem, which caused the Meda Pool to corrupt/damage/etc?  Backups to this same pool have been working (except this Exchange GRT issue) for almost 3 years.

One final question...how did the missing rights issue occur?  Was this a Microsoft OS modification?  I perform software installs using vendor defaults.

Thanks.

16 Replies