Forum Discussion

rebaztalei
Level 3
13 years ago

bad media/write protected

Hello everyone,

I'm Rebaz. Currently working for Crystal Marbles and trying to get our Symantec backup exec 10d  get to work with our "storage work 1/8 G2 tape autoloader. Before anyone gives me help, wich i apreciate a lot. try to understand that the first couple links that you will google for the problem is already been used.

The issue i have: whenever i try to inventory a tape, it gives no error what so ever. it just get reconigzed by "bad media"

When i try to erase any of the (not) working tapes. it gives me an error:

Set type               : Quick eraseSet status             : CompletedSet description        :
Media label            : WEEK-BCK-44-08Media side             : 1Barcode                : Family ID              : 946057265
Family sequence number : 34
Slot number            : 4Slot count             : 1

Error                  : 13 - The media is write protected.

Agent used                     : NoAdvanced Open File Option used : NoImage used                     : No

If anyone can help me, please message trough here. i will be refreshing this page every 5 minutes. or mail me at rebaztalei@crystalmarbles.nl if you can help me trough mail in case you have already been in this situation.

With kind regards,
Rebaz Talei

• alright here is the solution for bad media/write protected tapes:

this takes very long but definatly worth it. open the software HP&LTT go to "utility" if that options is available.(to make this available press on the tab "by product" and click on the Tapeloaders drive)

(I HAVE A 1/8 TAPELOADER,THIS MEANS I HAVE TO MOVE THE TAPES MANUAL ON THE PANEL OF MY TAPELOADER)

once you're on the utilty tab you mark the Tapeloaders drive. make sure that you know wich one the DRIVE is. Utility group should be set on "Tape erase". click on "options" and make sure that  "allow overwrite" is on "true". Press "start"utility" once the message says "test passed" go to the next step.

Set ulity group on "Drive configuration utility". Click on options and make sure you got these settings:

Enable/Disable Data compression: enable
    Prevent/allow media removal: allow

Now click on "start ulitiy"

Close HP & LTT and open Symantec exec backup 10d(or whatever version you have)

go to the tab "devices"  go the any of your tapes and press right click and choose "quick erase" this might take a couple of minutes. when its done,you press right click on the same  drive and pick "label name" when done you will see that your drive/tape is ready for use. i hope this could help anyone else!

With kind regards,
    Rebaz Talei

(could someone hook me up with a tutorial/guide how to backup your servers on our network?i cant seem to get it to work the servers are all color'd grey)

18 Replies