Forum Discussion

12 years ago

BE 2010 R3 hanging on system state

We were running BE 2010, not sure exactly which revision and randomly starting having our entire backup job hanging on the system state of a few remote servers. I installed all the latest updates and updated the agents, same thing. I can do system state backups on these systems individually, but as part of the larger full backup, they hang to the point that I can't cancel the job. I have to restart services. I've done the vssadmin checks on the remote servers and they come back clean and the backup jobs are running to a B2D folder. Any suggestions?

• I decided to completely remove BE and reinstall it and so far everything is running successfully. Thanks to everyone here for your assistance. 

17 Replies

• ...can't give a half thumb's down. wink

Also, the first part of your question above wasn't targeted at the version; it was whether or not he had patches installed...thumbed up your comment below.

• Ok I have more to add. Last night I decided to break the two servers that were hanging previously into individual backups with system state. Both were successful. My remaining backup of servers that previously had no issues hung up on a different server this time. The odd thing that I've noticed, which I have not noticed before, is that they all seem to hang at around 210-250GB. These are B2D backups that get offloaded to tape later and there's plenty of free space there, upwards of a TB or more. For the the backup that hung again last night I created a new B2D folder before starting it, just to make sure there wasn't something damaged with that one. 

At this point I think I'm going to uninstall the agent on all of my servers and push it out again. There's no logical reason I should have to do this, but it's software... you never know. 

If anyone has any new suggestions they would be appreciated, just in case. 

• 2010 R3, fully patched. 

Haven't tested running a local backup, but as mentioned below i'm going to uninstall and repush my agents and see what that gets me. If that goes nowhere I'll try a local backup and go from there. Thanks. 

• Software does become corrupt, and it wouldn't be the first time that a RAWS agent somehow got corrupted. I haven't had it happen on many occassions myself, but it has happened to me.

• Ok so my plight continues. I uninstalled and repushed all agents and also did a repair on media server install. 

I created an entirely new selection list, created a new B2D folder and a new media set, created the backup job, files only, and it hangs at queued or snapshot processing. I can't cancel the jobs and have to restart services to get out of that. There's plenty of space on the B2d device. I've also tried a different B2D device with the same results. 

one thing I noticed is that before starting the job is showed the device it's going to be backing up to, but hwne you start the job that field goes blank. 

Very Frustrating, any suggestions? 

• Hi Jason,

Might be time to open up a case with Symantec if you have a support agreement with them. If they help you find a solution, post back here & close this query off.

Thanks!

• I decided to completely remove BE and reinstall it and so far everything is running successfully. Thanks to everyone here for your assistance.