Forum Discussion

Kingston
Level 4
13 years ago

BE 2012 Installed. Questions..

Hello,

I have upgraded from BE 2012R3 to BE 2012. I have gone through relevant bits of the 1342 paged Admin Guide, and now have some questions.

I realise that in BE2012 backups are now "server-centric" rather than job-centric, and that during the upgrade the backup job was split up and these split jobs assigned to each server.

1. How can I set the order in which these servers are backed up? If we have 3 servers that I wanted backed up in the order of server1,2,3 and the backup starts at 9:01pm, should I set server1 to backup at 9:01pm, server2 to backup at 9:02pm, server3 at 9:03pm, or should these be prioritised using some other method?

2. We do full backups every night, and the backup of all servers fits onto 1 tape . I assume that the first scheduled job needs to be set to overwrite the media, and each subsequent job needs to be set to append to the media? I ask this because in BE2010 it had just the one job and it was set to overwrite the media. Now in BE2012 the job is split up into several jobs (and the upgrade process has set each of these to overwrite the media) each job is going to overwrite the last job, and the only job that will be left on the tape at the end of the night's backup is the last scheduled job.

3. Having the tape ejected after the backups are complete. Is the better way to do this to schedule an Eject at 9:05pm (which I assume will the queue it at after the last backup job), or should I set the "Eject the media after job completes" in the last scheduled backup job? Or some other way altogether?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks!

Nev

17 Replies