Forum Discussion

Brepols_NV
Level 3
11 years ago

BE2012 thinks VMWare VSS provider and Symantec VSS provider are installed

For a while now, one backup job returns everytime that the job completed with exceptions: The job completed successfully.  However, the following conditions were encountered: The backup has d...
    11 years ago

Thanks Kunal, the first technote was the one I once followed (but lost afterwards).

As said, I did follow those steps, but I made the mistake of never trying the steps at the bottom: taking a snapshot from VMWare, and more importantly, checking the BeVssProvider-logs.

I couldn't find any BeVssProvider-logs after 21/03/2013, and I read in the Technote above that you needed to add arguments to the pre- and post-scripts.

I opened the Pre-script, and noticed following command after ":BEGIN_PROCESSING":

IF EXIST "%ProgramFiles%\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBRequestor.dll" (
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BeVssProviderConflict" /f
    exit 0
    )

So, out of curiosity, I went back to the registry, and check if that key existed. Because once, I had the VMWare VSS provider installed, and BE had difficulties with it. As I expected, the key "BeVssProviderConflict" was still present.

I deleted the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BeVssProviderConflict" and retried the backup: no warnings anymore.

Before I mark this as solved, however, I want to make sure that everything on the server is OK:

I installed the BE agent successfully, but:

1) The only VSS provider available is the Microsoft VSS Provider. Even during backup, the BeVssProvider-service does not start, and no Symantec VSS Provider becomes visible in "vssadmin list providers".

2) There are no log files under "Program Files\SYMANTEC\BACKUP EXEC\RAWS\VSS Provider\logs" since more than four months.

Should I be worried?