Forum Discussion

20 years ago

Best way to TEST exchange restore with veritas......

Hrmm,

Well as part of disaster recovery plan.... every 6 months we test our exchange backup. I was wondering what is the best method of doing this. Should I just restore the mail store to a different directory / partition or is there a way in backup Exec to do this. Without a full restore?

Any ideas / suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-H

5 Replies

• I'd like to know also because I tested our Exchange servers by getting an exact piece of hardware and using IDR to restore it to that server. Active Directory didn't like that because when I tried to put back the old server on the network, it gave me errors because of the Computer Password being incorrect. I had to pull my Exchange server off of the domain and re-add it. It's not something I'd like to do often. What other ways are there to test it out?
  • Hi

In order to answer your Query,we would like to know your Environment and which version of Exchange you are using ?

What is your Backup Strategy and are restoring it to the same server or its a redirect restore ?

Please refer to Admin Guide : from page number 1129 onwards

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English)
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Do revert for further queries.

Thank you
    Gauri

Additional Information :
    For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
    Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm
  • Page 1129 in the english version is for SQL page 1141 starts for exchange agent.

We are using windows 2003 server standard.
    Exchange server standard.
    Single server of exchange with a remote agent.
    Single domain.
    Our file server has FULL install of Backup Exec.

Full tape backup nightly onto a single tape of exchange and file server.

Hope that helps.

-AA
  • Good question- I'm surprised there's not more replies. Do you have Exchange 2003? Couldn't you use the Recovery Storage Group?
    In our environment we are not at exchange 2003 yet, so rather than have the whole offline replica of AD and the exchange server, we use a third party exchange archiving tool- Quest Recovery Manager for Exchange. It resores the database from tape and mounts it from an exchange emulation mode. This verifys the tape tape backup, and can easily restore messages/mailboxes into the live environment. There are other products from Commvault and from Veritas (enterprise Vault) that may do the same thing. I'm not sure this is the best exchange recovery validation, but I can say it is very easy.
  • Hello,

Please update us on this query and also if you have further queries please post them.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.