Forum Discussion

12 years ago

BEWS 2012 Trial Version

I installed the BEWS 2012 version which is only trial while waiting for the paper license to come out.

My Question is: Upon checking on the storage I tried to erase the content of the tape media but the erase button/tab is grayed out, is this the limitations of the trial version or my media server have a problem?

Thanks...

• When right clicking on a stand-alone tape drive, you should get the following

8 Replies

• No.  There is no such limitation due to BE being a trial version.

• ...just make sure you're using the Symantec drivers for the device. if not, use tapeinst.exe to install the DDI drivers and try again.

Thanks!

• Are you using a single stand-alone tape drive?  Or are you using a robotic library?

If you are using a robotic library, make sure that you right click on the slot (not that tape drive) containing the media that you wish to erase.  If you are using a stand-alone drive, then you right click on the tape drive itself.

• BE2012 is server centric. Check if you have ran any dependent jobs on that particular tape which might be blocking it (for example: a incremental backup)

Also check the view on the screen. Some times the list view does not let you delete whereas the tree view lets you do that (this is most commonly seen in jobs deletion)

Regards,

Mohamed.

• ..the OP is trying to erase a tape...not delete a job!

Thanks!

• Hi,

What OS is this running on? If Windows Server 2003 then make sure the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled.

Otherwise, you can try 1 of 2 things:

1. Download HP Library and Tape Tools, and with the BE services stopped, see if you can use this to erase a tape;

2. Completely uninstall the tape drive from Windows and BE, and then restart the server. Use tapeinst.exe to reinstall the drivers and try again.

Thanks!

• When right clicking on a stand-alone tape drive, you should get the following