Forum Discussion

James_Lane
Level 3
17 years ago

Can I have just one file produced?

My backup is of 4 sections (c:\ d:\ Utility and Shadow Copy) and it produces 4 files.  I am guessing; one for each.  When trying to then duplicate this backup (that went to NAS) to a tape, apart from taking ages it also fails every single time when just starting to read the last file with the a00084ca error.  I have not used verify on these backups as it takes an age.  Can I produce just one backup file instead of 4?  Is this the best route for 2 destinations, namely backup to NAS and duplicate to tape?  Thanks.

2 Replies

• Are all the selections in one job?  or do you have 4 jobs that are chained together?

if it is one job, they should all go to one backupset in one file, and the size of the file is limited by the MaxFileSize specified for the B2D folder.
    if it is chained jobs, make sure that the second and subsequent jobs are all append and soecify the same media set as the first job and that for the B2D folder, "number of backupsets per file" is four or greater.

As for the speed -

Make sure that all NICs/Switch ports on the path from your medai server to the NAS  are NOT set to auto-negotiate, but are hard set to the fastest setting appropirate to your network

Make sure that the volume that the B2D folder is on is not Fragmented (this can REALLY slow down throughput)

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 12-19-2007 07:59 AM
  • Fantastic!  One job.  I've changed the number of sets per file - it was set to 1.  Thanks.

I have run again to see if the duplicate job will run after without an issue.  It is still falling at this last file (new set) and I noticed that the Media went from Tape to NAS before it fell over.  Does this happen in the duplicate jobs?  Does the Device Name in the Job Monitor keep changing?

I'm no network guru, where can I find the NIC's settings please?

The NAS is new so I hope there is little or no fragmentation.  I am investigating if there is a defrag tool.  Beginning to think that this Buffalo LinkStation is not good enough...