Forum Discussion

JonahIJ
Level 3
14 years ago

Cannot back up system state

Good afternoon,

We are currently experiencing an issue when attempting to backup one of our servers.

We are running full backups on 7 Windows 2008 servers, but one is failing when it comes to back up the system state.

The error is reported as:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\<SERVER>\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected cannot snap this volume. Select the default snapshot provider, and then run the job again.
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "X:" .

The issue appears to be "X:" - this is the DVD drive on the server and obviously VSS isn't able to snap it, and this is the only server on which this is apparently a dependent resource. I'm prety sure it shouldn't be listed here at all?

I have checked in the seemingly obvious places (I'm not much of an expert with BE) to no avail, would anybody know how to resolve this and remove X: as a dependent resource?

Cheers,

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Just tried that as well - no such luck.  Upon trying to run a System State back up again, exact same failure.

This is clearly quite an odd problem to have!

• ...any reason for keeping your DVD-ROM as X:\ on this server? What happens when you change it?

• Ahh good idea.  I have now just tried it (backup of the system state only), and guess what?  Failure, new error, which states:

V-79-57344-850 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
    Snapshot provider error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.

At least this proves there is DEFINITELY something in the System State somewhere that wants something on "X:"!

jayhal
      Level 3

Hi Jonah,

I was reading this post. It may be old, but I have very similar problem to this one and would very much like to know if you remember if this was fixed and how.

Any input from you will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jay