Forum Discussion

it_big
Level 2
14 years ago

Cannot restore individual email messages

My Backup Exec Server 2010 (Rev. 2896 64bit) is installed on a Windows 2003 x64 server. Installed updates: Service Pack 1, Hotfix 358409, 354875, 138449, 354913 and 141686 with LiveUpdates.

I use the backup-to-disk feature to backup files and folders from remote Windows server and from an Exchange 2010 with GRT.

Backup works fine; I can restore files and folders without any problem; but if I try to restore an individual email message, the job fails with the error: "Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again".

I am sure that credentials are correct because are the same I use to backup job.

I tried to reinstall HotFix 351400 (see http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH129168) without any success.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Mirko

5 Replies

• Hello,

Please ensure that your system logon account in backup exec is added to the "Org Admin" role in RBAC. Ensure that the mailbox is not hidden from GAL. Also did you take a new backup post reinstalling the HF? Ensure that the remote agent on the Exchange server is up to date.

This is likely an authentication issue, credentials are required when restoring as write permissions to the DB are cross checked. Backup may work to a disk but restore fails. This is commonly seen.

Hope this helps!

• Hey ZeroCool, MAPI CDO is no longer required with Exchange 2010. Management tools could be the reason.

• Okay, thanks for informing, please note there is an edit button to add some extra comments to your post, no need to add an extra one.

• Problem solved. The logon account I used did not have an Active Mailbox...

Thank you very much for your help.

Mirko