Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Communications Failure in Veritas 10

Hi,

We have a problem with Veritas backup. (Small business Server Suite V10.1(d) Rev. 5629
Concerns a brand new server which has only been in production for 1 week now.
We are getting the following error message in the backuplog:

"Job ended: vrijdag 9 juni 2006 at 23:34:20
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072

Backup- D: DataV-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled.
V-79-57344-65072 - The Exchange Server is not responding. Backup set canceled.
V-79-57344-65072 - The Exchange Server is not responding. Backup set canceled.
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
The network connection failed during the snapshot. Check the network, and then run the job again.
V-79-57344-65072 - The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled."

I've checked the Veritas website and a possible solution for this, they tell is to uncheck the M-drive in the backup selections.
However, windows 2003 doesn't show the M-drive by default, so i can't uncheck this.

Last week i had the same error; then i restarted the Veritas services and after that had 2 100 % succeeded jobs.
Last night de backup again had the same error; i restarted the services again today, but hope someone has a permanent solution.

many thanks in advance.

Robert

5 Replies

• Hi,

Assuming that you are doing a local backup and not a remote one...

Are you using the Advanced Open File Option for backup?

If yes, then please deactivate it and try the backups again.

With which account are the Backup Exec services running?

Check the Event IDs logged by Backup Exec in the Application Event Log..

Do you get the same error if you try to backup the system partitions?

Regards,
    Padmaja
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your answer.

- We are indeed doing a local backup only.

- We are not using Advanced open file option.

- Veritas services are running with domain administrator account.

- application log: Event 34113
    "" Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
    (Server: "SBSERVER01") (Job: "Dagelijkse Back-up") Dagelijkse Back-up -- The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred."

The error is not returning every day; backup ran perfectly last 3 days, but might generate the errors tonight again.

Regards,
    Robert
  • Hello,

-- Under which account is the Backup exec Remote agent service running? The Remote Agent Service should run under Local System Account..

-- Are there any third party applications running durning the backup?

Thank You,

Shweta
  • schweta,

Yesterday, it seemed the back-up had run the previous 5 days without any errors with the Backup exec Remote agent service running under the administrator account.

I don't believe the problem is solved at the moment, because the back-up has run well a few days in a row before. So,yesterday, i've changed the account under which the service was running to Local System Account to see what the effects would be. This morning i've received a message that the back-up was successfully. I will look the next few days if the back-up will run stable.

The only application which does run during the back-up is Panda Antivirus (BusinesSecure) v3.06. No user activity at the time of back-up.

Sincerely,

Eric