Forum Discussion

pfeiff
Level 4
17 years ago

Dell Powervault TL2000

BackupExec 11d Rev. 7170 Sp1 with hotfixes:17-21

The server sees the autoloader just fine.  BackupExec saw the autoloader but would not load any tapes even though there was one tape in the drive. It saw all the slots but wouldn't access the tapes when told to do an inventory.

I rebooted the Autoloader and then in the device section in backup exec it went to off line. I could not get the device back online, rebooted the server and everything still no luck.  I then removed the device from BackupExec and now it shows only as a stand alone device and still won't work.

Have the licenses installed for the autoloader as well.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

20 Replies

• alright one more time, make sure the application and system event logs are selected they did not come across in the last run.
  • Ran the program gain and uploaded the new file to the ftp. Is there something I can do on this end for the system to see the device as an autoloader instead of a standalone while you are looking at the log files.
  • Well right now,  the SCSI logs do not even show the library getting initialized so I'm wondering if Windows even sees the Library.  Go to Device Manager and look for Medium Changers.  The library will be listed under that if Windows is detecting the library.  If it is not listed you will need to contact your hardware vendor to find out why Windows is not detecting the library.
  • The device is connected via Fiber and not SCSI.

Under SCSI and RAID Controler Section:

QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter is seen for the fiber card that connects to the TL2000

Under Tape Drives:

IBM ULT3580-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device is found.

The above hasn't changed just as noted before the only thing has chanced is in B.E itself.
  • Regardless of how the device is connected the server, my previous question still stands. Does device manager list the library?  When in device manager you should see a listing for "Medium Changers" and the library will be listed in here.
  • Nothing listed in Windows Device Manager or Symantec for Medium Changers.
  • Well that tells me that your OS is not seeing the library either.  With that being said, that tells me the problem is not with Backup Exec.  You will need to contact your hardware vendor to find out why the OS does not see the library.  Once the OS shows the library Backup Exec will see the library as well.
  • Thank you for your time on this, will go ahead and get a hold of them and see what they have to say about it.
  • Update:
    Here is the solution that Dell gave me and the autoloader now works and is seen by both server and Symantec.

a)    Set the autoloader to random mode instead of sequential.
    b)    Reboot the device.
    c)    When the autoloader is up and running restart the server (upload restart the device should now be listed under the medium changers section in device manager.
    d)    On the server run the BeUtility in the Symantec directory, select the option to repair the database.
    e)    Under computer management on the server go to Storage->Removable Storage and expand that group.
                a)    Remove any devices that have a red X on them.
    f)    Under services stop and disable the removable storage service.
    g)    Restart the services for Symantec Backup Exec.
    h)    Open backup exec and the autoloader should now be listed under the devices tab.
    i)    *If you have cleaning tapes install in the autoloader they recommend creating a partition for them and your data tapes.
    j)    Doing an inventory of the device should work fine now.
    k)    Restart the server.

• Help me
    How can I take out tape. because one tape is make error in backup system.
    Where can I have usermanuell to TL2000 and symantec