Forum Discussion

anthonym
Level 3
13 years ago

Duplicate Dedupe Job fails half way through

We are running a daily/weekly/monthly policy to a dedicated dedupe folder (B2D) and it works just fine. I have setup a duplicate job (inside policy) to an offsite B2D dedupe folder (again dedicated using and CASO/MMS setup) for both the daily and weekly jobs and it gets about 2 hours into the job and fails with the following error:

The requested media was mounted, but it has been erased and does not contain any backup sets

I also get the following errors on the logs only on some servers, not all.

A selection on device \\IDSFILESERVER\D: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\IDSFILESERVER\E: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\IDSFILESERVER\System?State was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\MATTHEWSDB2.matthews.com.au\C: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\MATTHEWSDB2.matthews.com.au\D: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device MATTHEWSDB2.matthews.com.au was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device MATTHEWSDB2.matthews.com.au\SQLEXPRESS2008 was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\MATTHEWSDB2.matthews.com.au\Shadow?Copy?Components was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\MATTHEWSDB2.matthews.com.au\System?State was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\MATTHEWSFS3.matthews.com.au\C: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.
A selection on device \\MATTHEWSFS3.matthews.com.au\D: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

Strange thing is I do not get errors on the original backup for these 3 servers and we are backing up 6 servers in total and the other 3 duplicate just fine.

Any ideas?
  • After installing SP2 and waiting for 10 Days, this Problem did not occured again.

So SP2 seems to resolve this issue.

If you can confirm that for your environment you should mark this as Solution.

thx

15 Replies

• do you think i need to create all selection lists, policies, jobs, media sets and create a new dedupe folder? dedupe folder is on a 13Tb raid5 dedicated volumn and the BUE server is running on 2008R2 with 16GbRAM on a Dell R510.

strange thing is i created a new dedupe backup to the same volumn of a single directory on a server and it went through fine, then restored from it ok...now the full backup that ran on Sat completed with exceptions but i cannot restore from that...

now this has me worried wether or not this software is working at all

HELP!!

• these times i saw multiple user who have this issue.

in our case this happes on a single server.

explanations and workarounds in articles like this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/deduplication-folder-and-blank-worm-media

does not help and also not explain why this can happen!

fact is that BE writes to dedup media, and when it is finished and starts to copy from this media it tells us

that somebody has erased it...what!?!

mabye some symantec employee can explain this.

it sems that it has to do somethimg with automatic maintenance of dedup media

• Jumped on a support call with symantec to realise my R3 updates were, well, not up to date. In fact SP2 only came out yesterday that addresses alot of these issues. Also, seems more stable to run a seperate verify job within the policy (for diff daily and full weekly/monthly) seperate to the actual backup job and seperate to the duplicate offsite job....first diff backup went through pretty well except the duplicate failed (think i had different media sets between backup and duplicate and it got it's knickers in a knot)....anyway big test is my weekly full tonight...let you know how it goes..

oh and by the way updating my R3 to SP2 fixed the issues restoring from a successful backup as well...may be some logic in this "keeping it up to date" approach

• As it seems to be a bug, maybe sp2 helps.

I always keep BE actual...but it is stange that not all installations i did have this issue.

I will also post if it is solved.

• After installing SP2 and waiting for 10 Days, this Problem did not occured again.

So SP2 seems to resolve this issue.

If you can confirm that for your environment you should mark this as Solution.

thx