Forum Discussion

dalbs
Level 4
13 years ago

Duplicate to tape at DR site

Hi,

If I set up a single job definition to first backup to local dedup disk at site 1 and then duplicate this to dedup disk at site 2 using opt dedup, would another stage to duplicate to tape at site 2 use the data stored at site 2 and not site 1?

Thanks.

• According to the screenshots you mentioned, it seems highlt possible to implement. While writing the previous reply, i was doubtful about availability of duplicate as source in the duplicate to tape job. (Unfortuantely i do not have any such setups available to test it though). Test it once before confirming.

5 Replies

• You can duplicate data to tape from dedup folder at site 2, only after duplicating from dedup 1 to dedup 2. Which means you may not be able to add duplicate to tape as a stage.  

• Hi dalbs,

I have tried to implement in the manner you describe, I finally moved the tape Library back to site 1 to avoid sending the data across to site 2 to tape.  This is the most efficient way to achieve your goal using policies.  Otherwise you will need to configure duplicate backup sets jobs on server in site 2

• Thanks for your replies. I've been looking into this further.

I created three disk storage locations local to one of my media servers and tested duplicating to disk 3 from a duplicate in disk 2 (all stages in one job definition) - please see attached (dup test def.jpg).

The job log shows (please see attached dup test log.jpg) that it duplicated the copy located in disk storage location 2, not 1. Therefore, why wouldn't this be the case if disk 2 and 3 were at a different site to disk 1? Why couldn't disk 3 be tape instead?

Thanks, Nick

• According to the screenshots you mentioned, it seems highlt possible to implement. While writing the previous reply, i was doubtful about availability of duplicate as source in the duplicate to tape job. (Unfortuantely i do not have any such setups available to test it though). Test it once before confirming.

• Hi All,

You may not be able to run the duplicate to tape directly incase the backup taken to site A on a dedup folder & directing to site B tape drive.

I guess you are using a CASO MMS setup. If you have 1 caso 1 mm & onboth you have deduplication solutuon, then let the first original backup complete to 1 site & then run the OPT/replicate dedup on 2nd site. Duplicate to the tape drive from site 2 dedup folder (This will required re-hydration of data from site 2 dedup folder, so the duplicate from site 2 dedup solution to site 2 tape drive may take some time)