Forum Discussion

chaivc
Level 3
14 years ago

Erase tape failed

Dear all,

I'm using a Hp autoloader 1/8 ultrium 448, I 'm using backup exec version 10,

I have problem with erasing tape for my backup job, I got this error "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. when I check the event viewer the event ID is 34113.

Any one can help?

• Hi ,

Yes it would be in place upgrade so you will not loose any of your existing job

So please upgrade it to BE 10d 5629 & then sp5

Please mark this as solved if this resolves the issue

Thank You

16 Replies

• I have updated the hp and LTT, it was no error found. the backup can run after I restart my server and the tape was detected. I found out there is a "storage device configuration error" in the alerts, try to search the tape driver installer for BE ver 10. 0 Rev 5484 here, but could not found a suitable one, can someone kind enough to post a link for me. my server is running windows server 2003 standard.

thanks in advance

• Hi ,

Please first of all upgrade your 10D to build 10d 5629 with sp4 for same please download the link below & then upgrade it to 5629 first & then install sp4 & then let me know if it works or not

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44023                --10d5629

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH53335               --10d sp5

Thank You

• just to confirm, when I upgrade the BE, will my backup job still exist after the upgrade?

• Hi ,

Yes it would be in place upgrade so you will not loose any of your existing job

So please upgrade it to BE 10d 5629 & then sp5

Please mark this as solved if this resolves the issue

Thank You

• ...just grab a copy of your Data + Catalogs folder.

The in-place upgrade can run into issues, and this generally affects the DB. Certainly in my experience when it does, you lose everything and have to recreate jobs, media sets etc from scratch again!

• the tape drive cannot detect tape in BE whenever I load a backup tape into it, unless I restart the server.

do you inventory/scan  the drive when you change tapes?