Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Failed restore from tape, strange error about network interface

Trying to restore a virtual machine disk from tape.  I've cataloged the tape because it was older.  Went through the restore wizard and selected to restore it to a different location which is actually a large drive directly attached to the BackupExec server.  Next, next, Finish.  It immediately errors out with this:  The Backup Exec server was unable to connect to remote machine (null) because a network interface matching the selected Backup via Network parameters could not be found. 

Um, what?  It is literally the same server the Backup Exec software is running on.  I don't see anywhere in the restore wizard that specifies a network interface.  Not sure what is going on?

• This has been resolved.  I poked around Backup Exec and under the Settings \ Network and Security, the Network Interface field was set to "use any available interface" and the Subnet set to "use any available subnet".  I modified both of those values to what they should be, then re-ran the restore job and it is working as intended.  Not sure how those settings were reset back to default, but that appears to have been the issue.

1 Reply

• This has been resolved.  I poked around Backup Exec and under the Settings \ Network and Security, the Network Interface field was set to "use any available interface" and the Subnet set to "use any available subnet".  I modified both of those values to what they should be, then re-ran the restore job and it is working as intended.  Not sure how those settings were reset back to default, but that appears to have been the issue.