Forum Discussion

Dracarys1
Level 3
8 years ago

How do I upgrade BE2014 to BE2016?

Hi all

I am running BE2014 and 5 Windows agent. I have questions about upgrading BE 2014 to BE 2016

1. How do I backup configration and backup policy of BE 2014?

2. For management console, do I use way in-place upgrade? How do I upgrade agent?

3. If I fail ugrading, I try to remove BE2014 and install BE2016. After install BE2016, how do I restore backup job? 

• Hi,

1. Stop all BE services. Go to the installation directory and grab copies of the Data & Catalogs folders. The Data folder contains the BEDB itself, as well as the backed up BEDB (bedb.bak);

2. Run the installer for BE 16 and it will ask if you want to upgrade the media server. Do so, and once done, run LiveUpdate to install any patches. Once done, run a push-install from the media server to upgrade the remote agents.

Thanks!

2 Replies

• You need to state the Operating System (and bit level) that BE 2014 is running on and once you know this info you shoud take a look at the Software Compatibility List for BE 16 as this will determine if you can do an in-place upgrade or not.

In fact you also need to check operating system and application versions for any data you backup as well

Basically BE 16 removes support for older versions of operating system and applications. So if the BE server is running 32bit OS or anything older than 2008R2 you cannot do an inplace upgarde as you have to invest in a new server and OS first. 

Also if you backup any operating system or application versions  that are no longer supported you cannot upgrade BE until you have upgraded these application and operating systems. (unless you don't intend to continue backups of such data)

• Hi,

1. Stop all BE services. Go to the installation directory and grab copies of the Data & Catalogs folders. The Data folder contains the BEDB itself, as well as the backed up BEDB (bedb.bak);

2. Run the installer for BE 16 and it will ask if you want to upgrade the media server. Do so, and once done, run LiveUpdate to install any patches. Once done, run a push-install from the media server to upgrade the remote agents.

Thanks!