Forum Discussion

Nene
Level 6
14 years ago

How to backup Exchange 2010 in a DAG environment

Hello guys,

i'm back with my queries as usual.

I'm really grateful to all those who have helped in the past.

Right now i need your help again.

i have a client who needs BE 2010 R2. I have been trying to get steps to backup the Exchange DAG in this forum for quite some time now. I have only seen issues pple have encountered.

below are a few questions.

1. The client has 1 CAS and 2 MBX in a DAG scenario.

2. how many Exchange Agent licenses need to be purchased?

3. Is there any special step i need to backup these Exchange servers?

4.  I believe there is, so i need steps to go about backing up the Exchange servers most especially in this DAG.

5. About Hyper-V when I try to backup another site running Hyper-V with 3 guests, the guest server crash and i have to rebuild the guests. Most the guest machine be powered off if i have to do a backup?

Thank you all for your anticipated responses.

• Hi ,

Nene, Yes it would be nice idea to do Full & differential backup into same folder, Only be aware that as said in above discussion you cannot do GRT backup for differential so may be for an instance if you are doing differential on weekdays & Full on Weekend this is only example & may be on tuesday one of the mailbox is corrupted & you need to restore it back so in that case you will have to configure recovery storage group & then restore last full bacup & the differential & then use exmerge after that & then get the mailbox back so the process is to big when you have to restore few email or mailbox in compare to that if you do GRT full & Incremental using policy with backupexec that will help you to do individual mailbox email restore quickly & also in your case backup are going to disk so would be good option

But yes if you know about that already & if you are ready to spend time while doing individual component restore then yes you can do full & differential bacup with backupexec

(Also one more thing when you differential backup for exchange transcation log are not set to purge by backupexec & when you do incremental transcation log are purged)

Thank You

18 Replies

• Hi Saqib,

Can you please open a new thread so that we can start working on it

Also this particular forum is for backupexec as you have netbackup please open a new thread on netbackup so that we can help you further

Thank You

• Any updates on this Nene is that clear now or still in cae of any douts on same please feel free to ask

Thank You

• Hello all.

Talking about BE licensing for Exchange in DAG environment remember this:

- You will need an Exchange License for each server with Mailbox role

- All the others servers in the DAG (CAS and the others) do not require to purchase extra licenses, but a RAWS will be needed in each CAS server.

- Exchange DAG is not supported in virtual environments, if you have Exchange GAD in HYper-V or VMware you have to work the machines as physical.

• Hi Nene,

Any update on this , please post this solved if your douts are clear

Thank You

• Hi itsmeaffinity,

i really appreciate your support on the DAG.

I just pushed the RAWS to the two MBX DBs and i can see the DAG node to be selected.

i will do Full and Differentail backups. The Exchange people just finished work on this network.

The issue of purging the logs will be looked into, since you said Differential does not truncate the logs.

my fear with Incrementals, is if any one of them is missing then i would not want issues with restore.

About the Licensing, the client purchased just one RA for Exchange. I hope it will not be an issue?

I will keep you posted if i have any queries about the DAG.

right now i am starting a new thread on credential issues for SQL 2008 R2 backup.

I hope you can also help on this.

Thank you so much.

• Hi Nene,

Appreciated your update on this & can you please mark this solved in case of any issue you can always drop an post further

Thank You

• Hi Itsmeaffinity,

I have marked the previous steps you answered as the solution. Thank you for your support.

I will still ask more questions as I move on. Cos I really need to be a master with this deployment.

Thanks to you and all the support from this forum.

•  

My Isssue was resolved as it was windows server 2008 firewall issue.