Forum Discussion

havenoclue
Level 2
14 years ago

How to configure document level backup of MOSS 2007 in Backup Exec 2010?

Hi guys,

I am trying to configure document level backup for MOSS in BE 2010, but it does not work. I was able to create a job and it completed successfully, but the there were no individual documents available for a restore. The BE help does not mention any special requirements for this configuration.

I found that NFS was a requirement for NetBackup 7, but I am not sure if it's required for BE 2010 too. Anyway, the doc at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH85693 mentions setting a variable: "Add the path of the mount command to the PATH system variable", but there is no explanaiting of what is this "mount" command.

Any idea?

Thanks

• Hi guys,

Everything was okay, it's just that in the restore wizard I was trying to locate MOSS documents by expending the MOSS server itself instead of expending the farm name and looking under Web Application.

Thanks for your help

6 Replies

• The KB article mentioned does not apply to Backup Exec. For a brick level restore of MOSS 2007, following are generic requirements:

1: Full backup is run with GRT enabled.

2: RAWS is installed on the Sharepoint servers & the appropriate Agent for MS Sharepoint is installed on the BE media server. (RAWS version should match BE version)

You may refer to this KB article & the related articles for a bit more info - http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO11768

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO12653

• Thanks VJware,

I have followed the guide, but it did not work. So, the agents are deployed on BE server, MOSS and SQL, and they are all the same version. I configured a full backup of MOSS, selected everything listed under "Microsoft SharePoint Server Farm" node and enabled GRT. The job completed successfully, but there are no files available for a restore.

Thanks

• hi havenoclue,

i'm very interested in your case. can you give me abit of info on how you setup your MOSS (2007/2010)? Is it a single server or multiple server setup (as in separate web/app/sql svr environment)? SQL/OS version if possible?

i'm not doubting your claims but when you mentioned that your backups are ok, can you see like how many folders/files/size it is?

Just an info that the BESA account for backup must have proper rights at domain admin/local admin/farm admin/site admin and public+sysadmin for SQL

• Hi Jaxom,

It's 1 Win 2003 server hosting MOSS 2007 and IIS, and another Win 2003 server hosting MS SQL 2005.

The total MOSS backup size is 12 GB.

From the backup job report:

SQL backup: MOSS_CONFIG, MOSS_SSP_10001, MOSS_SSP, MOSS_SSP_SEARCH, MOSS_SEARCH_SERVERNAME, WSS_Content_Directors, MOSS_CONTENT_80, MOSS_MYSITES_10002, MOSS_APP10000

MOSS backup: Global Settings, Shared Search Index\Index files 1, Search instance\Index files 1

(These index files are actually visible and selectable in a restore wizard)

The job on BE server and agents on MOSS and SQL servers are running under the same account which is a local admin on all 3 servers as well as a member of Farm Admins group on MOSS. The account successfully backs up all other non-MOSS DBs on the same SQL server.

Thanks

• Hi guys,

Everything was okay, it's just that in the restore wizard I was trying to locate MOSS documents by expending the MOSS server itself instead of expending the farm name and looking under Web Application.

Thanks for your help

• haha that's great news havenoclue :)

yea the restore components for the SharePoint backups appears on the Farm<server name>  listing.

cheers!