Forum Discussion

webwalker
Level 2
14 years ago

How to format "unrecognised media"

Hi, We have just installed Backup Exec Server 2010 on a single server with a HP LTO3 tape drive. Windows x64 2008 standard (Not Sp1) with all latest patches. Install has gone fine, except that ...
    14 years ago

Hi,

I have finally resolved this issue. Turns out to be a GUI "Feature".

Under the devices tab, there are two folders. One is called Device Pools and the other is the ServerName. The " device pools" has "All devices" underneath it with the tape drive for the server displayed. The other folder (%ServerName%) also has the same tape drive listed underneath it.

However, if you right-click the upper tape device, you will not be able to perform any tasks on the device. If you go to the device listed under "%ServerName%", and right-click you CAN perform tasks.

Therefore, I had to select Erase from the context menu on the lower device listed, not the upper one. Once the tape was erased I was then able to format and lable the tapes and move them into the corrrect medial pools.

Quite why there is a difference in the behaviour of the context menus , I don't know, but it certainly stopped me from working.

regards