Forum Discussion

11 years ago

I have tried to restore bkf

I have tried to restore bkf file in Windows 7 after downloading ntbackup.exe available for Windows 7 but now I am facing a new issue with an error message i.e. backup file is unrecognized and cannot be used. please guide me to proceed in restoring bkf files.

• Hi,

I am not posting irrelevant information.

If you check OP has donwloaded and tried ntbackup.exe and not the ntbackup restore utility(NtBackupRestore_x86.msi).

These are two diff things.

For reading/restoring older backups, Microsoft has made available the NTBackup Restore utility for Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 [3] and for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 [4] which can only read BKF files.

Because file backed up using previous version of ntbackup can't be restored in vista & later version.

So i thought trying restore utility might work for him.

• Shouldn't you be consulting Microsoft rather than posting your problem here? This forum is for BE not NTBackup

9 Replies

• Hi,

Moved to a new thread.

Did you catalog the *.bkf files before trying the restore? If not, do so and then try the restore again.

Thanks!

• There is no guarantee that NTBackup can restore from a .bkf file created by BE.  NTBackup is a stripped-down version of of BE and is a couple of versions behind the latest version of BE.

• The main question is was the .bkf file created by Backup Exec or NTbackup?

I think the last NTbackup in Windows when it was Veritas not Symantec so it obviously is very much behind any current version of Backup Exec. Besides, if you still have the copy of Backup Exec which can be installed and used for the restore it would be a lot reliable. If this is not an option then you might want to try installing BE 2012 in trial and attempt a restore.

• ...you posted a link to an application the OP already tried to use. Don't see the relevance in that. Please read the previous posts, and especially what the OP states initially before posting irrellevant information.

Thanks!

• Hi,

I am not posting irrelevant information.

If you check OP has donwloaded and tried ntbackup.exe and not the ntbackup restore utility(NtBackupRestore_x86.msi).

These are two diff things.

For reading/restoring older backups, Microsoft has made available the NTBackup Restore utility for Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 [3] and for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 [4] which can only read BKF files.

Because file backed up using previous version of ntbackup can't be restored in vista & later version.

So i thought trying restore utility might work for him.

• Shouldn't you be consulting Microsoft rather than posting your problem here? This forum is for BE not NTBackup