Level 4
14 years ago

Incremental Backup with GRT of Exchange 2010 DAG

Hello

I have one question.

Actually I backup an Exchange 2010 DAG with following method:

Daily incremental backup (B2D)

Weekly full backup (B2D)

Copy the full backup to tape after its finished.

My problem is:

If the daily backups runs (with activated GRT) I couldn´t see in a restore job single mails, just the log files.

I backup an exchange 2003 environment the same way and there I could restore single mails from incremental backup.

What is necessary to make this able with the DAG, too?

Thanks and Regards

m-d

• Solution: Install the Exchange Management Tools. Thanks for your help.

8 Replies

• Hi

First thing you can confirm that if backup is using policy for both incremental & running on b2d which is in your case

Also verify when you perform full backup with GRT on disk are you able to view single mail item in restore selection or it is not working for that too

Also is BE 2010 r2 sp1

Thank You

• Sorry :)

Yes i use a policy for that.

From a full backup i could restore single mails.

In the incremental backups i only see the log files from exchange. But with the same configuration i could restore single mails at exchange 2003.

BE 2010 R2 SP1? I can´t find a hint if its really released. Is it? Where I can download it?

• Done.

Same result: I can only restore log files, no single mails.

But, I don´t think thats a bug. I think i have a wrong configuration or forgotten to achieve a requirement. But with Exchange 2003 I could see single mails in a incremental backup and the full backup of DAG is fine, too (i could restore single mails)

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Hi

Can you post the snap of your job configuration for incremental which should have snap for exchange setting & also policy setting

Thank You

• Ok, it´s a little bit difficult because I´ve installed the german version and don´t know the exact translation but i wanna try it :)

DAG-ex2010-incr:

Microsoft Exchange

Exchange Server-Backup-Method: Incremental - protocols (emtpy reserved protocols)
    Mailbox-Backup-Method: Full - backup Mails - resetting archiving bit
    CPS: No
    Activate restore of singe mails and folders from backup of information store: Yes
    activate Single Instance-Backup for attachments: No
    Consistence check if using VSS: Yes
    If consistence check failed continue with backup: Yes

Is it that what you want to know?

Thank you :)

Regards

m-d

• Hi

Can you post the job log for your sucessfull backup for exchange incremental

Thank You

• Solution: Install the Exchange Management Tools. Thanks for your help.