Forum Discussion

AndreyS
Level 4
12 years ago

Infinite Backup

Hi all, have a question, how can I create infinite backup of my active directory server that would create a full back up job just once on the first run, then followed only by incremental backups? I h...
    12 years ago

Due to limitations within Microsoft Active Directory, only the full backup method can be used to back up Active Directory. Incremental and differential backup methods are not available. 

Please refer to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO23306

Moreover, even if a System State backup is considered, you need to consider that it is not affected by backup methods like incremental, differential, or even full. The System State backup will always be a full backup, regardless of the options selected for backup method under the general tab. This is due to dependencies among the components.

Think of the System State as being one file instead of lots of files. This will illustrate that, even if the job type is Incremental, it will always backup the whole thing. It will always be a Full backup of the System State no matter what the job settings.