Forum Discussion

Malcolm_C
Level 2
17 years ago

Interbase 5.6 is shut down after Backup Exec initialises

We have an application that uses Interbase 5.6 on the server. We recently upgraded to Backup Exec 11d but find it shuts down the Interbase service after several minutes and we must manually restart it. After that all is well.

We see an application log message indicating an action by Backup Exec, and then immediately Interbase places an event indicating it has been shut down.

This behaviour only started following the upgrade so we are certain the two are connected.

As we are mandated to use encrypted backup we must use Backup Exec 11d.

Any remedy or workarounds?

4 Replies

• Hello Malcolm,

I would like to ask you something, thus this BE 11d application is residing the same with Interbase?

Are you backing-up the main Interbase application as well?

Because we are also using Interbase application version 7, but BE 11d is located in one of our servers and not together with Interbase. We do not backup the application as well. Just the data that was generated by the Interbase.

If in case that in your backup procedure, you are backing up the interbase application, it may stop the Interbase server process by terminating any Interbase connection or put it in a stop server status.

Be sure that you are just backing-up the .gdb file rather than backing up the whole interbase application.

Hope this helps.
  • We have the Interbase server software running on the same machine as the Backup Exec 11d. On booting, we see the Interbase server process (interbase and guardian services) is stopped by Backuo Exec.

If we then manually restart the Interbase service, all is then well.

It is inconvenient to have to manually restart Interbase after 3 minutes, so I asked if others have found a workaround.

As to backup, we save the gdb files.

Regards

Malcolm
  • Malcolm,

I am really interested to help you out on this issue. Just give me till tomorrow and I'll make my own isolation on the Interbase application to work around things for you.

One thing more regarding your reply:

1.  On booting, we see the Interbase server process (interbase and guardian services) is stopped by Backup
         Exec. - Thus this mean that this server is being shutdown on daily basis?

2.  It is inconvenient to have to manually restart Interbase after 3 minutes. - Thus this mean that Interbase
         server application stops every 3 minutes? Is this still related to SBE?

I'm sorry but I have to ask you these things to make further analysis and isolation.

Regards,
    Norms

• Thank you for your interest.

Just to clarify.

The Interbase process (interbase and guardian services) are only stopped during the boot up process, usually after about 3 minutes, backup Exec starts its own database (Microsoft SQL) and it is populated. After this step, Backup Exec is seen to make an entry in the application event log, and almost immediately interbase is stopped. It only occurs on boot up, not when Backup Exec performs a backup.

Regards

Malcolm

Malcolm,

I am really interested to help you out on this issue. Just give me till tomorrow and I'll make my own isolation on the Interbase application to work around things for you.

One thing more regarding your reply:

1.  On booting, we see the Interbase server process (interbase and guardian services) is stopped by Backup
         Exec. - Thus this mean that this server is being shutdown on daily basis?

2.  It is inconvenient to have to manually restart Interbase after 3 minutes. - Thus this mean that Interbase
         server application stops every 3 minutes? Is this still related to SBE?

I'm sorry but I have to ask you these things to make further analysis and isolation.

Regards,
    Norms