Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Issue appending to tapes

Hello, I'm having a problem appending to tape.  I use a 24-Tape Robotic Library and I usualy run:

2 sets of week FULL backups jobs i.e. Week A, Week B.  They run over the weekend.  Next week I change the tapes for Week B and run FULL backups again then rotate again next week and so on with seperate Month tapes every 4 weeks.

During the week I run INCREMENTAL jobs to seperate tapes Monday to Thursday. I also have 2 sets a set for Week A and Week B.

How I usally have the Overwrite and protection set to for the FULL is: OVERWRITE 12 DAYS,  APPEND 0 HOURS with the job set to overwite the media so the are protected for almost a full week (although they won't be in the library the next week anyway) and can't be appended to.

The settings for the INCREMENTAL jobs are: OVERWRITE 30 HOURS,  APPEND 5 DAYS with the job set to Append if not Overwrite. This means that the tapes are free to overwrite sometime Sunday ready for the next week so they don't append to the tape (although the tapes should have been switched for the second week Incremental tapes to follow on from the new full backups anyway therefore making the 1.5 day protection pretty redundant.

The problem I've ran into a couple times now and never been able to find a solution is say when for some reason or other the weekend full backups fail to run to the point where I can't possibly find a window outside of business hours to re-run these backups and I want to continue appending to the previous week's incremental tapes as to have the option to restore from the previous week's full backup and say a week and a half worth of incremental jobs as a last resort.

I can't seem to find a set of protection rules that will allow me to append to the media.  What I'm trying to do is create a new emergency media set to apply to these Incremental tapes in this event.  I've even went to extreme values like:

Overwrite - Infinite don't allow, Append 1 Year

I'm assuming these rules should overide any previous media set and stop the media being overwritten but appendable for over the next year as the append time should be from the time of the first job???

My thinking is with this new media set my previous incremental ovewrite protection of 30 hours should be changed to never overwrite although my 5 day append should now allow me to append to this media again for a year from the first job??

I thought this would work the same way you change the media set to scratch and you can overwrite to media, so I assumed the new rules would overide the previous media set rules?

Please any help on what I'm missing here or got wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Liam Thompson

• I am not sure when the job write the timestamp into the BEDB. To be save you should rerun the full backup

11 Replies