Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Issues converting serial number into license key

I purchased Backup Exec 11D and the Domino Agent from CDW. I received an email from Symantec with two certificates, one says EXPRESS at the top and the other says SUPPORT at the top. I tried following the directions for logging into site for doing this conversion, updated my account, this is an upgrade package, and then tried to enter the serial number. I keep getting an error message that says my serial number is invalid. I entered all four serial numbers one at a time from both certificates and get the same result from all four serial numbers. I called CDW for support and they told me to pound sand, call Symantec. What am I doing wrong?

3 Replies

• Martin,

You are not doing anything wrong. We are experiencing the same problem. Symantec is experiencing a problem in their systems where new orders entered into the extranet site is not properly registering the serial numbers into the licensing portal.

I tried calling yesterday about this issue and there was a message talking about a known issue with the licensing portal site and that it was being worked on. There was a two hour hold period.

I called first thing this morning and got through with a representative. They said they were aware of the problem and would notifty us by email within 48-72 hours with a solution.

You can either call in to support and log a ticket or wait a couple days for the problem to become resolved.

Our vendor is SHI, so its not just CDW customers.

The only other thing I would suggest is to ensure that once logged in, you choose to enter only the serial with the ' do not currently have a customer number' radio button, but that likely wont work.

We have just went ahead and installed in evaluation mode since its good for sixty days. Once the licensing serial numbers are straightened out you can simply enter your serial to change from eval to licensed mode.
  • It's now Dec, 02, 2006 and it's STILL not fixed and the phone support is still non-existent.