Forum Discussion

mbjoe
Level 4
14 years ago

Job Stops with "Loading Media" Status, Error 58061

We have a job that has been working fine up until two nights ago. The job seems to run but at some point stops with the following status "Loading Media". No changes have been made to the backup, the error has just started happening. It has happened two nights in a row now, so I assume it is not a specific tape issue.

When looking in the Alerts tab we receive the following:

Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection settings, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

ErrorID: 58061

It then asks to put in another writable media.

We already have the alert set to be auto-clear and we also have the following settings in place so that the tapes should be overwriting, however it seems it's not for some reason:

Options - Media Management - Overwrite protection level set to Partial

Media Overwrite options set to overwrite recyclable media.

Options - Backup - Media overwrite protection = Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media available

Media Set Properties - Overwrite protection period = 1 day. Infinite Allow Append.

Job Properties - Device and Media - When job begins = Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

I've tried restarting the BackupExec services, are there any options I could try?

• The daily has the appen with overwrite while the weekly has overwrite settings

Ahh

You are appending DIFFs to the same tape.  I can see where that could cause capacity problems.  You may need to change your strategy to two DIFF tapes, say Mon-Tue and Wed-Thu with a weekly FULL

If I'm understanding correctly, the job tonight would write the 10GB of space appending to the end of the tape, then it would ask for another tape to write the remaining 2GB?

Sounds right

when would the overwrite actually take place

When backup Exec detects the end of the tape

I assumed it would append until it was full, then start overwriting on the same tape over the older backups.

Nope. if it did that it would essentially quick erase the tape and all the data from the first part of the job would be gone.

6 Replies

• Sounds like the job is filling the tape up.

Is this a stand-alone drive or a loader?

if stand-alone, what kind of drive and how much is backed up when the alert is posted?

• When the alert occurs the tape is listed as having 0 bytes of available capacity.

It makes sense that we are getting the alert in that respect, but the job is set to overwrite so technically we shouldn't be getting the alert in the first place.

It is an IBM drive, standalone.

• If a job starts writing to a tape (either overwrite or append) and fills it up, it will only continue on an Overwriteable or Scratch tape

Without upgrading to a larger drive (or adding a second), about all that you can do sp split the job and run the two on alternating days

I'd say do a weekly full and daily DIFF/INCR, but the weekly would still require a second tape

• We currently do use a daily diff and weekly full. The daily diff are the ones that are having the issue. The daily has the appen with overwrite while the weekly has overwrite settings.

I've looked at the tape for tonight and noticed it has slightly less space on the tape then we need for the job, so I assume it will happen again.

So for example say the tape has 10GB left and the backup needs 12GB.

If I'm understanding correctly, the job tonight would write the 10GB of space appending to the end of the tape, then it would ask for another tape to write the remaining 2GB?

In this case, when would the overwrite actually take place? When a tape is found to have 0GB free space at the start? I assumed it would append until it was full, then start overwriting on the same tape over the older backups.

• The daily has the appen with overwrite while the weekly has overwrite settings

Ahh

You are appending DIFFs to the same tape.  I can see where that could cause capacity problems.  You may need to change your strategy to two DIFF tapes, say Mon-Tue and Wed-Thu with a weekly FULL

Sounds right

when would the overwrite actually take place

When backup Exec detects the end of the tape

I assumed it would append until it was full, then start overwriting on the same tape over the older backups.

Nope. if it did that it would essentially quick erase the tape and all the data from the first part of the job would be gone.

• Thanks for your help Ken, I guess in the end there really is no way to have just one tape be used in this situation now that the tapes are starting to fill up.