Forum Discussion

pxtian
Level 4
10 years ago

Maximize Tape Utilization in Backup Exec 2014 - DELL PV 124T (LTO5)

Hi,

I have noticed for one of our newer BE servers that tapes aren't being fully utilized. 

LT00006 - used from Dec 19 to Dec 27 (983GB out of 1.39TB)

LT00007 - used from Dec 29 to Jan 6 (630GB out of 1.39TB)

LT00008 - used from Jan 5 to present (365GB out of 1.39TB)

How can I make sure that tapes get full first before the backup jobs move on to the next blank tape?

This is a DELL Powervault 124T with only 1 Tape drive and 16 tape slots.

• If you appending to the tapes then increase your AP, so that more jobs can append to them
  • AP begins when the tape is first overwritten by a job and is the when the AP expires (blocking further appends) is fixed until you overwrite the tape again.

OPP (Overwite Protection Period) however does move around as it is fixed to the last write to the tape (so the end of the last backup set created on it)

6 Replies

• If you appending to the tapes then increase your AP, so that more jobs can append to them
  • Thanks, pkh. I think that may just be what I need. However right now, the tapes are set to an AP of 1 week. It seems that the tapes the duration for the first 2 tapes was more than 1 week each based on the backup sets inside? Is the AP not an exact science?

Dec 19 to Dec 27

Dec 29 to Jan 5

• AP begins when the tape is first overwritten by a job and is the when the AP expires (blocking further appends) is fixed until you overwrite the tape again.

OPP (Overwite Protection Period) however does move around as it is fixed to the last write to the tape (so the end of the last backup set created on it)

• Read this document to understand AP and OPP better http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459