Forum Discussion

Wellsoft
Level 4
11 years ago

Migrating to Exchange 2010, using BE 2010

We currently run B2D backups to external eSata drives that we take offsite, on a Windows 2003 physical box. We are migrating to Exchange 2010 soon and - of course I took for granted nothing would have to change on BE, TOTALLY my bad but still needs fixing ASAP.

1. What I want is the best practice and what actually works in the real worlld. We will be virtualizing, through VM Ware, the Exchange server on a 2008 platform. I have my BE 2012-level agents already as part of my yearly renewal.
  2. MUST we move BE to a 64 bit box? We will backup the .vmdk for server restoration but require granular full and incremental mailbox backups.
  3. If I must move my BE isntallation, can it be virtualized or do I need a physical server? My VM guy can provide a way for me to access the eSata drives, either for direct B2D jobs or as a copy location after the job is done.
  4. We only get one server, will not be using advanced features of 2010 like Unified Messaging or DAG.
  5. Since I totally spaced on THIS part, is there anything I am not asking that I should?

Thanks to all!

surprise

• Just to clarify this slightly

Our alternate configuration definition fioor vitualized media servers is really there to clarify our lack of support of pass throgh configurations for target storage devices. So SCSI, Fibre Channel, SAS and USB pass through might be able to work but also might give you random effects (devices going off line, tapes not being mounted in libraries etc). Customers that have tried pas through configurations have seen a number of intermittent problems of this nature.

You should however still be able to use an iSCSI library or B2D devcie held on either iSCSI LUN's or NAS shares with a Media server virtualized and whilst this also might be reasonable efforts support, our reasonable efforts with this sort of configuration is likely to dig further than in the passthough type of environment where we already know there are problems. 

There is another limitation with relation to VMware however, you can't do SAN transport AVVI backups if the media server is virtualized, although you can do HotAdd instead so this might not be a major issue.

As an aside DO NOT try to use Dedup Storage where the iSCSI target device is provided by software running on a server, we have seen such software not resond quick enouigh to the loads of Dedup and corrupt the deup folder. Thios comment appleis to bioth physical and virtual media servers.

18 Replies