Forum Discussion

Gautamj90
Level 3
13 years ago

Overwrite media prompt.

Hi, I am using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 for backup of my data.I have scheduled differential backup for each day and there are individual tap drive for each day but when the job runs according t...
    13 years ago

@Gautamj90 - When you set the OPP to "Keep Data Indefinitely", it means that your media cannot be overwritten forever.  I don't think that is what you want.  If you want to re-use your media, be it tape or disk, you need to set the OPP to a reasonable period.  Say, you want to keep your data for 1 week, set the OPP to 1 week.  1 week after the data is written, BE again can write to the media and thus re-use it.  If you set your OPP for too long, BE will not be able to find any overwritable media, For example, you have 4 tapes and you set the OPP to 1 week, on the 5th day, your backup job will not be able to overwrite the 4 tapes because they are still write protected.  In this case, you will get that prompt to insert overwritable media.  If you fail to insert any overwritable media, your backup job will fail because BE cannot write the backup set anywhere.