Forum Discussion

DNeuwir
Level 3
17 years ago

RD1000 Unable to Eject after backups complete

Hello all,

We're having troubles with Dell RD1000 cartridges using Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers (Small Business Server).  In all 4 cases, this is on systems that had previously been running nightly backups using v11d successfully for months (or even a year) without a hitch.

We can back up properly, but we can never eject the cartridges once a backup has been completed.  We press the "eject" button on the drive, but the cartridge will not eject.  It's totally "locked".

This has been tested and confirmed on four unrelated and relatively dissimilar servers at four different locations.  We have tried this with both the Internal (SATA) RD1000 drive chassis and have also reproduced the issue on one of our servers using the external USB drive chassis.  In all cases, the Dell RD1000 "RDXMon" service (which supposedly aides in ejection) is installed and running fine.  In all 4 cases, these drives had been previously successfully used with Backup Exec 11d, and we had done an upgrade installation to v12.  The only change to the system was an upgrade to BE 12, along with all available LiveUpdates (3 at the time).

One of the servers is a clone (running an Asus server motherboard, external USB RD1000 drive).  The remaining 3 servers are Dell PowerEdge 2900 systems using the Internal SATA chassis.

At this point, as best I can tell, we have a serious regression in the product and the product is completely unusable on RD1000-equipped systems (again across 4 locations, we have not had a successful backup, through the point of cartridge ejection yet).  This is holding off a rollout to our remaining 25 servers (there are about 30 total).

I understand that BE cannot "automatically" eject the cartridge as it can with "true" tapes.  But I'm not talking about that.  I'm referring to being totally unable to manually eject the cartridge (using the eject button on the drive) unless I PHYSICALLY POWER OFF the server and power it back on.

Help anyone?  I've got a string of clients we're waiting to upgrade here and I cannot in good conscience bring them forward until this issue is resolved.

-Dan

84 Replies