Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Adding Network Share to Backup

Hallo, I'm using Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition to backup our Domain Controller. Now I need to include a network share on a NAS in the backup. I already know that I need to enable the ...
    11 years ago

Is it now possible to create one backup job, which backs up the local server and the network share or do I have to create two jobs (one for the local server and one for the network share)?

No.  You would need 2 jobs because BE 2012 is server-centric and you can only backup one server with one job.

If I have to create separate jobs, how can I schedule the second job to start when the first job finishes?

You can get the length of the backups and schedule them accordingly or chain them.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/use-bemcli-chain-jobs

When I enable the selection of user shares and look at the settings of the backup job for the local server I now see all local shares on the server. If I select them is the data duplicated in the backup (once for selection of the folder on the disk and once for the selection of the share)? Should I deselect the shares on the local server?

Yes.  Otherwise, you would be backing up the same data twice.

I also found out that I need an Agent License to back up the network share. The NAS is running a proprietary operating system (probably Linux bases). Which Agent License do I need to back up the network shares?

You need either an AWS or a RALUS licence to backup a remote server/device, even if you are not loading AWS/RALUS on the device.  This is to comply with licencing terms.  In your case, it is better to get an AWS licence.  It gives more flexibility later on.