Forum Discussion

Zedadiah
Level 3
10 years ago

remote server crashes when attempting to install Backup Exec 2014 remote agent for Windows

I have a couple 2008 R2 servers that BlueScreen every time I try to install the 2014 remote agent for Windows. Tried push and manual. No erros logged in Windows, RAWSINST log not created. VC++ log contains this little beauty:

MSI (s) (E0:E4) [14:51:34:432]: SECUREREPAIR: Failed to CreateContentHash of the file: eula.1041.txt: for computing its hash. Error: 2

Do I have corrupt a VC++ package on my server?? If so, why did a dozen others work?

Complication/evidence: multiple Win2012 servers hung on reboot after agent install, but were fine after hard reset.

• long shot, but could be an issue with the AV itself.

8 Replies

• ...any AV installed? If so, try disabling it during the installation.

Have you tried a push-install or a manual install? You can always try the alternative to the 1 you have tried.

Thanks!

• AV is Symantec, and it was not a problem on several other 2008 R2 servers. Just these two.

Tried Push and Manual. Same result. 45-60 seconds in, splat. Memory is dumping.

I'm going to rip all Symantec code out by the roots tonight, reg clean, reboot, disk check and try again.

• See this document for a possible solution

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218124

• Saw the MS hotfix possiblity--patch IS already installed.

Symptoms don't match either. I can't find anyone else reporting the remote servers crash when one attempts to install the agent.

I did try manual rip out, registry clean up, reboot and tried install again. Still crashes. Not sure where to go next.

• I've now narrowed the problem to the vcredist installers. Anyone seen a server crash (BSOD) almost immediately after the installation of the c++ libraries begins?

• long shot, but could be an issue with the AV itself.

• That was it... tried it over the weekend. For some reason, the SEP client caused a hard crash on install of the C++ library packages. Pretty freaky stuff. Ripped out SEP, the RAWS agent installed without a problem.

VJware, are you able to get this info to engineering? Because I don't have a maintenance contract ("Not For Resale", donated license), I don't have an open case that would--I hope--communicate/refer this problem for further investigation. Thanks.