Forum Discussion

Alex13
Level 3
7 years ago

replication of hyper-v server

Hello, I have 2 server that are hosting number of virtual machine using Hyper-V. I want to replicate number of this hyper-v server to a third host, so that in case of host failure I could immediate...
    Colin_Weaver
    7 years ago

You don't replicate the VM - you just start it from the latest backup set so the frequency depends on your backup job's frequency and the speed of power up will depend on the performance of your BE server's storage, the performance of the BE server's OS and the network between the BE srever and the hyper-visor host. Typically it would be slightly longer than the original power on of the virtual server was prior to your disaster.

The running VM should not be affected in a noticeable way during the backup process.

BTW Backup Exec is not a replication product so if you truely are after contiunuous realtime replication of all changes in the VM then you are looking at the wrong product and should be looking a High Availability / Replication Products for the Hypervisor itself and not be looking at "Backup" products - although you will still need a backup product as human errors get replicated and therefore need recovery from a system that is not part of replication. (bear in mind that whatever form of replication gets implemented may need to be confirmed as supported by whichever backup product is in use , for instance if if VSS is affected by replication then this might limit adversely affect a backup product or vice-versa)

Colin_Weaver
    7 years ago

I don't think a backup product will help you, you need to look at other types of software. I believe Veeam is a backup product so whilst it might work differently from Backup Exec it may have similar limitations/concepts.

Something like Veritas Storage Foundation might help you as per:

https://sort-static.veritas.com/public/documents/sfha/6.0/windows/productguides/pdf/SFW_VCS_HyperV_Solutions_60.pdf

However please note I have no actual training on Storage Foundation and you will have to post any further questions to a more appropriate community forum.

You should probably be aware that what you are trying to do is typically a high end enterprise feature - which kind of means significant hardware and software costs to implement a solution and would normally mean a consultant should be engaged implement a suitable design.