Forum Discussion

16 years ago

Restoration of Oracle database fails with ORA-01460

Hi,

I'm trying to re-direct restore an oracle database to another oracle server. My original oracle server is a media server as well. I configured the remote agent utility on my second oracle server for the original server to see the second server. Upon running the redirect restore of database, it is failed and below is some part on the rman output:

Has anyone successfully recovered an Oracle database with Backup Exec 12.5

connected to target database: abc (not mounted)

using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
allocated channel: ch0
channel ch0: sid=156 devtype=SBT_TAPE
channel ch0: Symantec/BackupExec/1.1.0

sent command to channel: ch0

Starting restore at 06-JUL-09

channel ch0: restoring control file
channel ch0: restore complete, elapsed time: 00:03:35
output filename=D:\DBASE\ABC\CONTROL01.CTL
output filename=D:\DBASE\ABC\CONTROL02.CTL
output filename=D:\DBASE\ABC\CONTROL03.CTL

Finished restore at 13-JUL-09

database mounted

Starting restore at 03-JUL-09
Starting implicit crosscheck backup at 13-JUL-09
released channel: ch0
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 07/13/2009 02:21:00
ORA-01460: unimplemented or unreasonable conversion requested

Recovery Manager complete.

Tnx.
  • With regard to your question
    "Why do we need to specify the data and logs location even when the location on both the servers was same?"

Please see my inputs below..

The production and the Test Environment have the same variables and the
    Environment still Backup Exec need to have the Path specified for doing the Redirected Restore .The main contention would be the Directory Structure we are looking at and possibly Backup Exec would need to look at the path on the Test Setup to run the actual restore hence a path has to be provided for a Restore to run .This may be an issue with Backup Exec as the Redirected Restore has worked and that would be a workaround that the client can use to restore the information.I ve experience this before when i tried to restore an oracle databse sometimes there's no need to define the path.

Thanks,

9 Replies

• The Oracle version is 10g or 10.2.0.1.0 The job log error says " The Database script returned an error. Refer to the Database script output section in job logs for more details."  Above attachment is the exact error from the script. I change the database name for the company privacy. If you're asking me if the database name on the original server is same on the target server. Yes it's thesame.
  • refer to the link for the work around....

by the way what is the version of backup exec???
  • Hi,

Thanks Abhijit, It's Backup Exec 12.5..and the installe service pack is 1..what we finally did on it is to run the redirect restore again but this time specifying the data path and log path and the restore worked. All the control file and logs had been restored..But then there's still question on my mind. Why do we need to specify the data and logs location even when the location on both the servers was same?

• With regard to your question
    "Why do we need to specify the data and logs location even when the location on both the servers was same?"

Please see my inputs below..

The production and the Test Environment have the same variables and the
    Environment still Backup Exec need to have the Path specified for doing the Redirected Restore .The main contention would be the Directory Structure we are looking at and possibly Backup Exec would need to look at the path on the Test Setup to run the actual restore hence a path has to be provided for a Restore to run .This may be an issue with Backup Exec as the Redirected Restore has worked and that would be a workaround that the client can use to restore the information.I ve experience this before when i tried to restore an oracle databse sometimes there's no need to define the path.

Thanks,