Forum Discussion

ie
Level 3
13 years ago

Restore mailbox(es) to alternate exchange server

Hello,

Using Backup Exec 2010 and Exchange 2003

I'm testing a DR plan, so the scenario is: one exchange 2003 server with all the mailboxes (server name is exchange-2) and a secondary non-clustered exchange server with no mailboxes (server name is exchange-3).

So to simulate the deletion of a mailbox from exchange-2 and restore the same mailbox from tape to exchange-3. I've got full backups of exchange-2, i'm not sure if i can restore a mailbox to another server. The secondary exchange is part of the same domain, administrative group... etc

What i've attempted is to select "Restore to server or database availability group" from the exchange redirection option, but that fails saying that "the database that the mailboxes reside in is dismounted or not accesible" I thought this was strange since the mailbox currently just resides on tape

• So what i'm trying to do is not possible.

It's not possible restore a mailbox to a secondary exchange server, unless i also redirect it to an existing mailbox that resides on that second exchange server.

Or you restore to an exchange server on a different Active Directory domain, and enable the option to automatically recreate user and mailbox.

13 Replies