Forum Discussion

SMorais
Level 3
7 years ago

restore security doubts

Hello folks.

My organization is under ISO auditing and I'm reviewing my procedures documents and I have a security issue here that  I'm not sure about:

Is BE Encryption key responsible for preventing to restore backup data on a different server than the original one?

If it is not, how can I prevent it from hapenning? For example, if I have my tapes stolen, how can I be sure that these files won't be accessed?

pkh
    7 years ago

Encryption is never enabled as a default.  You have to enable it by creating encryption keys using passphrases.  This is done under Settings --> Network.

You then use these keys when you enable encryption in your jobs.  If you need to retore the tapes on another system or installation, you need to know the encryption passphrase.  Otherwise, they cannot be accessed.  If you loose the encryption keys, then even Veritas is unable to recover them for you and your tapes cannot be accessed.

9 Replies

• Encryption would prevent your tapes from being read without knowing the encryption key.

I am not sure if you can prevent it from being restored on a different server, but I am not sure you really want that.  In a disaster, you might be restoring on different/replacement servers.

SMorais
      Level 3

I think it should have an ecryption method that could be exported or stored on a different file just like encryption key, so, in a case of disaster, I'd be able to restore those files.

you mentioned this encryption that prevents my tapes from being read without encryption key. How can I enable it? or is it enabled by default?

Colin_Weaver

Ok so assuming you have enabled encryption and then have a disaster on the BE server itself. If you then need to restore data afterwards you may need one or all of the following:

1) Details (documentaion) of the passphrases used to create the encryption keys (including dates/timeframes of use and jobs used with) - it is the reponsibility fo the backup admin to maintain these in a secure location (not with your backup storage media)

2) A regular up to date copy of the Backup Exec Database. This database, amongst other things, contains the encryption keys used by your jobs, again kept somewhere safe and not with your backup media.

3) For any given install a one-off export of the Databse Encyption Key (DEK) for the Backup Exec Database, again copied to somewhere safe, and do not rename this file as the orginal name is required to use it when recovering the BEDB. The DEK is responsible for the encrypted security information inside the BEDB so without it the copy of the BEDB (point 2) is useless. This should be kept somewhere safe but ideally NOT with the copy of the BEDB and not with your backup media.

In theory in the event of a disaster you could get away with either point 1 OR Point 2 combined with 3 , best practice though is maintain all 3 key factors.

As a side note, you of course also need to secure the media itself, the server and for efficiency in the event of a disater copies of your catalogs - although these points are not directly related to encryption