Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Restoring .dll files under 'Windows\System32' folder

Hello

We recently ran into issues with one of our application servers which is running on Windows Server 2008 R2.

We needed to restore an older version of a .dll file under c:\Windows\System32. When we broswed to this through the catalogues we noticed that not all of the contents of that folder was listed for restore.

Is everything backed up under this folder and can it be viewed for restore? This seems very odd to me.

Kind Regards

Simon

• Content not listed there is probably part of the System State and therefore automatically excluded from a file system backup and not visible individually in the restore selections.

I believe you can redirect the System state restore to a folder and then have a look inside the resulting folder structure to restore a single file (instead of restoring the whole system state back to the server in original locations)

5 Replies

• Content not listed there is probably part of the System State and therefore automatically excluded from a file system backup and not visible individually in the restore selections.

I believe you can redirect the System state restore to a folder and then have a look inside the resulting folder structure to restore a single file (instead of restoring the whole system state back to the server in original locations)

• The files which are skipped during backup appear in the job log under exceptions.

System32 is not part of global exclusion list so yes it will be backed up and should appear in the 

restore window.

• This makes sense and is probably the case. I will attempt a redirected restore of the System State to a folder to clarify.

Many thanks

Simon

• Just to clarify AmolZeroCool's point

System32 might not be part of the global exlusion but files within it are part of Active File Exclusion (against the System State backup) - and won't be listed as skipped in the job log or selectable in the restore selections of a file system backup.

• A systerm state restore to a folder worked and I was able to extract the file I was looking for.

Many thanks.