Forum Discussion

fabiouness
Level 3
16 years ago

Restoring Individual Mailboxes

Sorry for asking a question that has been asked already, but I haven't seen my exact situation addressed. We're running BE v12.0 rev 1364 and Exchange 2003 SP2.  I have GRT as the option for backups and am trying to restore 4 individual mailboxes.  From the other posts I've read, it seems BE needs to restore the entire information store to a temporary location in order to extract the single mailbox.  This didn't seem to be the case before trying this today, as I had restored simply the deleted items folders in the past with this same software version.  My problem now if it does have to restore the entire store (47 GB) is that I only have 7 GB free space on the local C drive and 9 GB on the D drive, so the job fails with insufficient disk space every time.  I even tried to map a drive to a backup server that has much more free space, but this failed with a memory allocation error, which I believe is due to insufficient bandwidth to restore the information.  Regardless, I only have 34 GB free on the mapped drive.  How am I supposed to restore a single mailbox without buying a 100 GB external drive that still might not even work?  Am I missing something?

5 Replies

• I had to buy an external drive to be able to restore the entire exchange store, but that just seems wasteful to me.  I guess I needed to read up more on the differences in version 12 from previous ones, as previous ones didn't require the restoration of the entire store just to retrieve individual mailboxes.  Is there a certain setup that's needed to prevent this in the future?  We back up to tape, so sometimes the backups span two tapes.
  • If you do a a restore of whole mailbox store to RSG and then use  Exmerge then you will not need free space for stagging.

If you take a legacy mailbox backup (brick level) , that also dont need stagging but disadvantage is that ...brick level backup is extremely slow.

You can enable legacy mailbox from tools->options->Microsoft exchange

Enable legacy mailbox support.

after this you will be able to see individual mailboxes and public folder in selection list for backup. 

• The problem with RSG is that I don't have enough space on the local drives to store a backup copy of the store.  Could I keep it on the external drive (USB 2.0)?  Sounds like legacy isn't the way to go...
  • You can select path to store database files for RSG while creating it.

So I think you should be able to use USB drive to store that.