Forum Discussion

samleung83
Level 2
8 years ago

SAN Mode Transport

Hi All, I am planning to setup SAN transport mode to backup the VM servers and shared folders on my SAN Storage directly to tape thru fiber channel. Here is my current environment: The ESXi Host is...
    Colin_Weaver
    8 years ago

Sorry Craig but SSO has nothing to do with SAN transport (which is a function of the Virtual Agent linked to the Vmware Backup API).  Also an SSO (ESO) setup is only needed to share a SAN connected library - if the library is ONLY connected to one Backup Exec server (so not being shared), then SSO is not a required setup for this.

In essence presenting the VMFS datastore to both ESXi Host and BE media server over SAN connections AND connecting the library over a SAN connection to the (physical) BE server is the correct setup for SAN transport.

You do need a Virtual Agent, V-Ray or Capacity license for Backup Exec AND also ESXi itself must be licensed for the backup APIs (so a license package from VMware is also needed).

WARNING When setting this up make sure that Windows does not assign a drive letter etc to the SAN volume that is the datastore.