Forum Discussion

Steve_4
Level 4
11 years ago

SAS connection to Tape Autoloader (Driver Issue)

Hi All.

I am currently working on setting up a new windows server 2012 R2 with connection to a Dell powervault TL2000 Tape autoloader
My Symantec Backup exec solution will be hosted on a virtual machine (I know, not supported) so I cannot run the symantec drivers from backup exec
(I will then be connecting the tape autoloader to the virtual machine through a tape redirector)

How do I get connection to my tape autoloader on the windows server 2012 R2?
It does not show up in device manager, yet the tape drives do.

Is it dell drivers that I require or symantec?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Steve

• You need to install Micorosoft Drivers for the autoloader and Symantec Drivers for the tape drive.

With MS drivers autoloader will appear as Unknown Medium Changer.

BTW If the autoloader does not show up in the Device Manager than its an OS issue.

Backup Exec will detect the device only if its detected by the OS.

EDIT: As VJware has mentioned that the configuration is not supported so even if you somehow

make the setup work you may face issues in future.

5 Replies

• If possible, would recommend to wait for BE 2014 (which is releasing on Jun 02) and install BE on the WS2012 R2 server. It's better to run a supported config rather than a un-supported config especially if you run into any issues later on.

Additionally, BE being installed on a VM is supported. It is not supported if you plan on using the tape unit with the virtualized media server. If you consider using disk storage, BE on VM works pretty well.

• Hi,

Our current server is quite outdated and I am aware of the risks/difficulties, and we are aware of BE 2014 and will definitely be reviewing it when it is released. But for now we are planning to go with a virtualised setup on a physical server. I have received notification that we plan on running backup exec as a virtualised machine regardless (So even 2014 would be on a virtual 2012 R2 machine)

We are already using symantec system recovery as a form of disk backup for server recovery, but our current tape backup solution is preferred as opposed to BE disk backup.

Back to the original question which is supported, is it a dell or symantec driver I am after for getting my powervault tl2000 to show up on a physical windows server 2012 R2 machine? (Redirection is something I will sort out, I just want the tape autoloader to be discovered in device manager on the machine which is directly connected via sas)

Thanks for your assistance,
    Steve

• You need to install Micorosoft Drivers for the autoloader and Symantec Drivers for the tape drive.

With MS drivers autoloader will appear as Unknown Medium Changer.

BTW If the autoloader does not show up in the Device Manager than its an OS issue.

Backup Exec will detect the device only if its detected by the OS.

EDIT: As VJware has mentioned that the configuration is not supported so even if you somehow

make the setup work you may face issues in future.

• If you are using ESX 5.x, even VMware does not support accessing tape devices from a VM.  See the document below

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016407

• As I have already mentioned pkh I will already be perfectly fine organising redirection (We will be using Starwind redirection software to a hyper-V machine)

Thank you Amol, I have contacted Dell and it is in fact an issue with our SAS HBA drivers not correctly loading. I did just want to know how symantec communicated with the tape device initially so that was all I required thanks!

Regards,
    Steve