Forum Discussion

Pike
Level 3
12 years ago

SharePoint backup on SBS 2011

We are a small business with a single SBS 2011 Standard server using Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition to backup onto RDX cartridges. I'm not particularly familiar with Backup Exec or SharePoint but hopefully the following questions make sense.

Earlier this week we installed Hotfix 189571 and Hotfix 180964. Since then we started getting the following exception:

Backup- \\[domain].local\C:V-79-57344-33925 - Error: SharePoint_AdminContent_deed[...].mdf is a component of a SharePoint server farm. It must be backed up using the Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server. Select it for backup from the Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms node.

The same exceptions are also reported for the following files: SharePoint_AdminContent_deed[...]_log.LDF, SharePoint_ConfigurationDatabase.mdf, SharePoint_ConfigurationDatabase_log.LDF, ShareWebDb.mdf, ShareWebDb_log.LDF, WSS_Search_[server].mdf, and WSS_Search_[server]_log.LDF.

We don't appear to have a "Microsoft Server SharePoint Server Farms" node that I can see, only "Microsoft SharePoint Resources" (and the exceptions occur regardless of whether that is selected or not). According to the Backup Exec License Informaton window we have "Agent for Microsoft SharePoint" but there is no mention of "Agent for Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server" are they two different things?

According to the following technote: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51230

"In order to completely protect the SBS Sharepoint environment, a license for the Backup Exec Sharepoint agent must be purchased and implemented."

That technote appears to be referring to an older version of Backup Exec but as mentioned previously our License Information window says we do have "Agent for Microsoft SharePoint" (we didn't purchase it separately, it must be part of Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition). Does this mean that Backup Exec 2012 Small Business Edition doesn't back up the version of Sharepoint that comes with SBS 2011 Standard?

In order to allow the backups to complete without exception I followed the workaround in TECH51230, it mentions renaming bedssps2.dll but in our install there is also a bedssps3.dll. I renamed both, is that correct for Backup Exec 2012?

We don't use SharePoint at the moment so my main concern is whether the issues above and the workaround would affect Simplified Disaster Recovery. The following technote gives separate instructions for restoring SharePoint:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179341

What would happen in our situation since we do not have specific SharePoint backup? Would the backup of C: and of the SHAREPOINT database suffice to get the server fully operational after a disaster recovery?

Thanks.

18 Replies