Forum Discussion

ErwinB
Level 2
12 years ago

Single Instance

I can't find the Archive option in the Backup Exec Settings as mentioned below. (BE2012 SBE)

Enabling single instance storage of archived items

You can enable single instance storage of archived items.

See About single instance storage of archived items.

To enable single instance storage of archived items

1. Click the Backup Exec button, select Configuration and Settings, and then select Backup Exec Settings.

2. In the left pane, click Archive.

3. Ensure that Enable single instance storage of archived items is selected.

• The BE 2012 SBE edition does not come with the Archiving option and I don't think you can buy the Archiving option licence for BE 2012 SBE editioin.  See the document below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

8 Replies

• This option is associated with the Archiving Options (File System/Exchange Mail)

See http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74057 - Default Settings for the Archiving Option

Having the Exchange Mail Archiving Option or File System Archiving Option selected from the Install Options would activate the 'Archive' option in Backup Exec Settings.

• The BE 2012 SBE edition does not come with the Archiving option and I don't think you can buy the Archiving option licence for BE 2012 SBE editioin.  See the document below

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

• In the install options I cannot find this option. Perhaps PKH is right and is this not an option in BE2012 SBE. I need this option so I don't backup duplicate files. It is strange that the help function in BE2012 SBE mention this item while it is not supported in BE2012 SBE

• You say: so I don't backup duplicate files.
    Do you mean the Backup Exec Deduplication option ?

Not sure if that is an available option for the BE 2012 SBE edition.

• That is correct. BE2012 SBE should backup just one file and mark the duplicate file. We are told that this function standard is disabled and can be enabled in the settings of BE2012 but I can't find this option.

• That is correct. BE2012 SBE should backup just one file and mark the duplicate file. We are told that this function standard is disabled and can be enabled in the settings of BE2012 but I can't find this option.

• That is a separate option you must purchase, but I am not sure if that is available for the SBE edition.

• As the name suggests, the SBE edition is meant for small businesses with few requirements.  If you need the dedup option, upgrade to a full version of BE and purchase the dedup option.  You would not have to re-install BE.  All these are just change in licences.

Do note that the dedup option has pretty high requirements, like a 64-bit machine for the media server and lots of memory.