Forum Discussion

shaabin
Level 4
10 years ago

Symantec backup data details

Hello Guys.,

I need help...

Iam using BE 15..and  i have dout that what are the datas will we need to backup the following servers.

AD

Exhange(mailbox & DAG)

SQL

Oracle

Hyper-v

VMware ???

• Pretty much everything. The Admin Guide contains more details such as

AD - Full backup of Windows System State where AD is installed

Exchange - Information Store which includes the storage groups & databases

SQL - SQL instances which includes the system & custom databases

Hyper-V - MS Hyper-V selection which includes the VMs and Initial Store / Host Component

VMware - VMs as the physical ESX hosts themselves cannot be protected using BE.

In addition to the above, the system drive & system state must be backed up as well.

7 Replies

• Pretty much everything. The Admin Guide contains more details such as

AD - Full backup of Windows System State where AD is installed

Exchange - Information Store which includes the storage groups & databases

SQL - SQL instances which includes the system & custom databases

Hyper-V - MS Hyper-V selection which includes the VMs and Initial Store / Host Component

VMware - VMs as the physical ESX hosts themselves cannot be protected using BE.

In addition to the above, the system drive & system state must be backed up as well.

• ...I certainly won't put my head on a block to tell you what to back up. This is a business decision from your side, not the forum's.

What RPO/RTO do you want? Shorter periods would mean you backup the entire VM; longer ones means you can backup just the data you select.

• All the data. Otherwise, you would not be able to recover your servers
  • BE 15 has a new licensing model i.e. Capacity Edition & Capacity Edition Lite which is much more simplified than the existing licensing models, since this depends upon the amount of data you want to protect.

Have a read at the new licensing guide for more info - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH229205

• not about license..what data we need to backup the above mentioned servers?

• The licenses? Best bet is to contact the licensing departmet as they have the final word on licensing.

It depends on how many VMs you have as V-Ray might be a good option. Read below:

http://www.symantec.com/backup-exec-vray-edition/

Do you have both Hyper-V and VMware, or only 1 of them, as you're being vague about your actual setup...the more details you give, the easier it is to help.

Thanks!

•  i have dout that what are the datas will we need to backup the following servers.

Do you mean licenses?