11 years ago

Symantec Backup Exec License Assessment Tool Report - Problem

Hi,

My backup environment has the following licenses:

1x Backup Exec 2012

12x Agent for VMware & Hyper-V

1x LEO

1x Deduplication option

I got 12 servers and I successfully configured and ran BE2012.

On one ESXi 5.x hosts I installed the Agent for Windows on two VMs

However, when I ran the Symantec Backup Exec License Assessment Tool Report

It says I need to purchase 2x Agent for Windows.

Did I do something wrong ? Shouldn't Agent for VMWare & Hyper-V include unlimited RAWs installations on the VMs ?

Thanks,

Paul

• No.  With the hypervisor agent licence, you are entitled to install RAWS/RALUS in any number of VM's hosted on the licenced host.

10 Replies

• No.  With the hypervisor agent licence, you are entitled to install RAWS/RALUS in any number of VM's hosted on the licenced host.

• Hi,

Pkh, thanks for the reply.

But why license compliance prompting that I need to buy 2x Agent for Windows ?

Trial Period status = 10 ? I don't understand why its 10. I loaded Licenses already for this. Yet its still Trial Period.

Thanks,

Paul

• There had been discussions in the past which the users reported the the BELAT reported wrong information.

You should click on the BE button then click on Installation and Licencing and check the Licencing Info for a more accurate status of your licences.

• how was that resolved ? Can you post the link to that discussion?

• I cannot find the discussion right now but AFAIR the consensus was that the Licensing Assessment Tool should be ignored and will be dropped from the next release anyway.

• .....  will be dropped from the next release anyway

On what authority are you making this statement?  Are you a Symantec employee?

• No. I am not pulling words out of context.  You made the statement so I am asking you to state the basis for this statement.  Are you making this statement from your personal opinion, or are you a Symantec employee divulging some internal company information, or are you representing the "consensus" that you are talking about?  If it is the last option, then who are the members of this consensus who are so powerful that they can cause Symantec to drop a tool.

By the way, when you say "next release", do you mean the release after BE 2014?

• Oh for heaven's sake ...

Alright, since you're insisting, I'll spell it out for you in needless detail.

The basis for my statement is stated very clearly at the very beginning: AFAIR - or in full text: As Far As I Remember.

My statement itself, if you care to look at my original comment, was not that BELAT will be dropped, but that As Far As I Remembered the consensus of a discussion I couldn't find at the moment (and which I'm really not in a mood to look up for you now) seemed to indicate so.

My memory of that discussion does not include any names nor specific release numbers, which is why I didn't cite any of that under my AFAIR. So I regret I can neither support nor refute your conspiration theory of someone "powerful" "causing" Symantec to drop a tool. Personally I'd rather assume that they''ll drop it (if they do) of their own accord because they do not consider it useful, but that's purely a question of plausibility and also completely irrelevant for all practical purposes, so I won't put any energy in investigating that question further.

HTH

T.