Forum Discussion

mghomer
Level 6
11 years ago

Synthetic Backup

Hi all,   Im just playing with BE2012 trial version. And now surching for the synthetic backup option. I cant find it in the help file. I see only the how it works but not how i can create a job ...
    11 years ago

As synthetics requires that the last synthetic full be available along with the inceremental or differential set, then I believe the merge for a new synthetic happens in memory on the media server before being written to the storage device.

As such Synthetic and a cloud backup together is probably not a good idea as it will be moving a huge amount of data backwards and forwards across the network link to the cloud.

If your cloud storage is dedup based then forget about Synthetic as Dedup should reduce the data being actually written across the link and Backup Exec 2012's restore view presents a "Synthetic view" of Fulls and Incs (or Full and Last Diff) and then requests any separate pieces of media as needed during a restore. Prior to 2012 you would have to restore from full first and the restore from subsequent diff or inc sets.