Forum Discussion

13 years ago

The maximum size for a backup set was exeeded - unable to restore data

Dear all,

I have the following error code at restoring Exchange Mailbox items.

The backup of resource '\\exchange\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes' was written by a previous version of Backup Exec. The maximum size for a backup set in that version was exceeded. To restore the data, disable the 'Use Fast File Restore' feature, and run the restore job again. For information on how to disable the Use Fast File Restore feature, see http://support.veritas.com/docs/278673

I followed the guideline and disabled "fast file restore" as described. Another article out of the knowledgebase asked to do the change in the registry. I also tried this as well as re catalog the media. Did not solve my issue. The job fails with the same problem. I found a Hotfix for 2010 R2 - we use 2010 R3 so it should be included.

We use win 2008 Standard, x64, BackupExec 2010 R3.

If anyone has an idea how to fix this I would be really happy.

Thanks

9 Replies

• Did you delete the old catalogs before re-cataloging the media ?

• Hi

Right now are you doing restore from tape or disk

if you are doig restore from tape duplicate job to disk first & then try doing restore & see if that works

Thanks

• Hi,

What version of BE did you use to back up that Information Store in the first place? Also consider running LiveUpdate and installing SP1 for BE 2010 R3 if not already installed.

Delete the catalogs, recatalog the tape and try again.

If you need help on how to duplicate to disk, read my article below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

• Hi,

we do a restore from tape. I duplicated to disk and run the restore from there -> no success.

• Hi,

I should have been Ver. 2010 R2 when we took the backup. I tried your steps - unfortunately without any success.

• Hi

Can you post the failed job log & also events in application tab of event viewer

Thanks

• Job Log: BEX_Backupserver_13262.xmlJob Log for ##59545## Restore Mailbox after
    recatalog SYM-Call

Completed status: Failed    See error(s)
          Expand AllCollapse All

Job Information
    Job server: Backupserver
    Job name: ##59545## Restore Mailbox after recatalog SYM-Call
    Job started: Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 1:35:34 PM
    Job type: Restore
    Job Log: BEX_Backupserver_13262.xml

Job Operation - Restore
                Server - ExchangeServer
    Drive and media mount requested: 10/13/2011 1:35:41 PM
    Drive and media information from media mount: 10/13/2011 1:36:41 PM
    Robotic Library Name: HP 3
    Drive Name: Drive 1
    Slot: 58
    Media Label: 000607L4
    Media GUID: {975ccd93-225e-4509-885e-e4b814f6004d}
    Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/9999 1:00:00 AM
    Appendable Until: 1/1/1900 1:00:00 AM

All Media Used
     000607L4

V-79-57344-37958 - The backup of resource '\\ExchangeServer\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes' was written by a previous version of Backup Exec.  The maximum size for a backup set in that version was exceeded.  To restore the data, disable the 'Use Fast File Restore' feature, and run the restore job again.  For information on how to disable the Use Fast File Restore feature, see http://support.veritas.com/docs/278673

Job Completion Status
    Job ended: Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 1:37:43 PM
    Completed status: Failed
    Final error: 0xe0009446 - Unable to perform a normal restore because the maximum backup set size was exceeded.  Please disable "Fast File Restore" and rerun the restore job.
    Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37958

Errors
          Click an error below to locate it in the job log
    Restore- ExchangeServerV-79-57344-37958 - The backup of resource '\\ExchangeServer\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes' was written by a previous version of Backup Exec.  The maximum size for a backup set in that version was exceeded.  To restore the data, disable the 'Use Fast File Restore' feature, and run the restore job again.  For information on how to disable the Use Fast File Restore feature, see http://support.veritas.com/docs/278673

• ...might be worth your while to do the upgrade to BE 2010 R3 and install BE 2010 R3 SP1 after that. Once done, try the restore again...