17 years ago

V-79-57344-33994 / Inconsistent data on B2T and B2D

System:
- W2K3, SP2, all win updates
- BE 12 with full Liveupdate
- StorEdge C2 tape (LTO3)
- B2D folders on local FC disk (QLogic FC card) and local SCSI disks
- Alacritech GB ethernet card

I get the following fail 9 out of 10 times when running backups - both against the tape library and local disks (both the FC and internal SCSI-raids):

An inconsistency was encountered on the storage media in Temp Cache.
V-79-57344-33994 - The data being read from the media is inconsistent.

Event logs shows:
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Backup Exec
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    57612
Date:        24.03.2008
Time:        17:28:53
Description:
A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device "Temp Cache".

This was an upgrade from 10, but I have tried both repair and complete uninstall/reinstall (scrapping the DB and catalogs).

The error is most frequent when running against RAWS on XP and W2K3 (both 32 and 64 bit), I don´t get it as often when running against local media server, so it might be connected to the use of agents. The error comes most often during the verify run.
(Edit)
The error is reported to occur during the verify run, but the backup fails long before all the data is backed up, so it might be that the backup fails and the error is reported as a verify error.
If turning off verify during backup, it still fails.
(/Edit)

I have run checkdisk and defragmented the disks, I´ve tested both with pre-allocate on the B2D folders and without.  I´ve tried with the AOF option and without, and backing up only files (no system state / shadow volumes). Same result.

The same media server has been running BE 10 flawlessly for more than a year, including after a OS reinstall some weeks ago. The OS is pretty clean, no AV on the media server, but running as DC in the domain.

I may provide debug logs of a failed run.

Regards,
Espen Wang Andreassen

Message Edited by Espen Andreassen on 03-24-2008 10:17 AM
No RepliesBe the first to reply