Forum Discussion

Vdang
Level 4
10 years ago

V-79-57344-38264 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.

Hello Everyone,

Currently we have a server 2008 64bit server with BE 2014 which was upgrade from 2012 and for some strange reason I keep getting this particular error message while backing up a few VMs as you can see below. 

V-79-57344-38264 - Unable to copy the virtual machine disk using the VMware VixDiskLib.
VixDiskLib_Read() reported the error: NBD_ERR_DISKLIBV-79-57344-38366 - WARNING: "VMVCB::\\10.0.1.5\VCGuestVm\(DC)ha-datacenter(DC)\vm\SCSMDW\SCSMDW\SM Warehouse-000002.vmdk" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify. Transport mode 'nbd' was used for the read operation of the disk 'SM Warehouse_1-000002.vmdk'

In addition, I have research this particular message and I have not yet found anything online that is exactly what I am having issues with. Furthermore to provide additional background information the issue that I am having with the VM are on an Exsi host that is running version 5.5.

17 Replies

• So in other words, what you're saying is that we do not need the remote agent to perform a GRT Backup and to do a restore from it as long as we are restoring to the media server rather than the actually vm? In addition, I was under the impression that VM that are backup via VMDK would require the remote agent to backup at the file level, please correct me if I am wrong.

• Restore selections are populated from the catalogs and it should not matter if the VM has the remote agent or not. However, when you run the actual restore to the VM, then it will fail since there is no remote agent present. Remote Agent is not required if you are going to restore the files/folders to the local BE server itself.

• Hello VJware,

So this is one of the VM that we have that does not have an the remote agent installed and when we go to restore it actually allows up to view and select individually files to restore from. In addition, we do have another backup server where we also backup vms, but we were not able to view those file from the restore selection unless we are doing a remote agent backup.

GRT without Agent_0.JPG

• File & Folder GRT does not require the Agent to be installed inside the VM for backups, but it does for restores. Application GRT requires the Agent for both backups/restores.

• Hello VJware,

To answer your question we do not have the remote agent push out to this VM, but the tech whom I am working with had me enable GRT and for some strange reason it is backing up successully at the file level without the remote agent. Furthermore, the support Tech and myself double check and for sure the remote agent was not installed on this machine. At the current moment we have not been able to collect the debug as SGMON is not working.

• Try pushing out the remote agent again to the problem VM's.

• Are the remote agents updated on the VM as well ?

It will be easier to log a support case to enable and analyse the debug logs.