Forum Discussion

20 years ago

Veritas Installation Directory

I'm still trying to get my new hard drive installed on a Windows 2003 Enterprise server. I am replacing the C:\ harddrive (which contains Windows system dir) ....

I think I am getting closer to the issue.

Veritas is currently installed on a seperate hard drive from the windows system F:\Program Files\Veritas

I'd like to install veritas on the new hard drive ,on a seperate partition from the system files(D: for example) My new hard drive will have 2 partitions, one to replace the system file hard drive , and another partition to replace the program files from F: (including Veritas)

The drive letters all change when I install the new hard drive, and I think that is where I am running into problems. (as the new drive is SATA and the old drives are both IDE)

This is my best guess because every time i do the restore Windows tells me that the shortcut to veritas is invalid.. and finds the new target, but the veritas services still dont start after I change the shortcut target..

I'm sure I'm missing something.. Hopefully it's something simple I am overlooking. Thanks in advance for any help.

~Jennifer

4 Replies

• Can't you change the drive letters to what they were before ? Its not clear to me if you want to replace a disk or add an extra one to the system.

Keep in mind that with SATA disks Windows will need drivers to use them.

Regards
    A van der Boom
  • Hello,

You will need to uninstall Backup Exec from the original partition. Perform a fresh install on the new partition. Please note that this will be a new installation and the previous configuration will be lost.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • I think I understand.
    Do you mean I should uninstall and reinstall veritas AFTER the restore?

Ahh.. I think that will work. Thank you!
  • If you do not want to lose all your local info (media sets, jobs, schedules, etc) See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260054.htm and modify as necessary